What's on My Food?

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Beading on Fabric or Quilts

Hi Boys and Girls!

You are surviving this heat? I am sure you have noticed very little blogging about my garden. There are several reasons for that. 1) Heat; 2) Heat; 3) Hot Weather. Yes, this year the only garden I have is on the portico...our long porch. http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_word_for/porch It is covered and runs the length of the house. I have herbs and other semi-green plants that get watered but are struggling.

Today, I want to talk about beading on fabric. I quilt but have yet to embellish my quilts with beads. So, today I tried it. I have used crystals before and I really like the little "bling" they add to a quilt. The beads I chose are shiney and are called seed beads. I got them at Nomadic Notions in Austin. www.nomadicnotions.com Even if you do not bead, YOU MUST VISIT THIS STORE. It will blow you away. I have been collecting beads for years but today is my beading debut...

Start with a wonderful book. I took a mini-workshop from the author, Larkin Jean Van Horn , and she is very good. This book is well-written book with good instructions. You can find this at http://www.amazon.com/Beading-Fabric-Larkin-Jean-Horn/dp/1596680040/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312771465&sr=1-1
It runs about $15. Or go to Van Horn's web site. http://www.larkinart.com/ Talk about eye candy!

I could not find how to make a perfect knot, so I had to use my better judgement on that. I made one knot and then 1/2" space, I made another knot. When this is pulled through the fabric, both knots will be hidden and if one knot comes loose, you have one more! This was a little difficult for me because the fabric is batik and very tightly woven. http://www.connectingthreads.com/cffabric/collection_list.cfm?ID=117&media=PPCBatik&gclid=CNulmZLbvqoCFRBS7Aod9ELn7g&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=PPCBatik&utm_content=Batik%20Paradise&utm_source=search.incredimail.com
A note about quilts...if your quilt is already quilted you want to bury your knots in the "sandwich." That is between the top and the batting. If your quilt has not been quilted yet and there is no backing , put your needle up from the back.

Here are the few supplies I used. Beads, needle, beading thread, wax, and scissors. Run your thread through the wax (purchased at craft store or Nomadic Notions) so the thread does not curl.
The beads are earth toned and will be applied to fern fabric.

Look at these easy instructions.
It may be difficult to see the beading. That is sort of my point. I did not want the viewer's eye to go directly to the ferns. I wanted a more subtle look. The same goes for the "bling" I added in the quilting. I just wanted a little shine in the quilting that would catch the viewer's eye. I stitched a few of these designs through the quilting stitch at several or maybe about 7 places throughout the quilt.
I used Sulky metallic thread. http://www.sulky.com/index_us.php
This is the background of the quilt. I also added a couple of crystals...Oh, I guess you want to see the quilt...OK.
Next posting, I should have my quilt finished!

So, until next time, try something you have been afraid to do. Yes, even beading. You will suprise yourself. I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment