What's on My Food?

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org

Sunday, May 9, 2010

MOTHER'S DAY TREAT

Hi Boys and Girls!

OK, this is the third time eating at the Cool Mint Cafe so I guess it is a "keeper."
http://www.coolmintcafe.com/  The menu was awesome today, being Mother's Day...All foods are organic and made fresh. The breads and pastries are homemade also.

First, we get started with mimosas...except Shannon who is very much pregnant. Babe is due in September.
If you want these at home for any fun breakfast or brunch, just use flute glasses or pretty slender glasses, add half-full with orange juice, and top with champagne...cheap kind will do...some like a cherry popped in but I don't like the food coloring. For a "pretend" mimosa, add sparkling tonic or ginger ale to the orange juice.

Next came the First Course: Platter of freshly baked breads & scones. I tried the lavender cream scones with icing. It was pretty good...I have had better...or butter. They did not taste like butter but it was still good.

The Second Course was a buffet. Really a lot of choices...
Spinach beet salad (yellow beets)...so good!
Tejas Toss...greens with jicama http://www.ochef.com/266.htm, grapefruit & avocado.
Southwestern Pasta...smoked poblanos & prosciutto with pasta.
Smoked poblano & carmelized onion & cheddar scalloped potatoes...the best!
Santa Fe Frittata...so good with spinach, roasted peppers and scallions...
Santa Fe Chicken Sausage Frittata...this had a crispy tortilla crust.
Wild Coho Salmon Hash...never tasted it...
Oak Smoked ham...passed this up too...
French toast...so cool. It was stuffed with vanilla marscarpone...wow! This was good.

Third Course was dessert. We were stuffed but the dessert was hard to pass up.
Banana-nut bread pudding with butterscotch sauce...passed on this one.
Mexican chocolate mousse...Shannon's choice.
Fresh fruit compote & oatmeal cookie...Roberto's choice.
Lemon Semifreddo...Aaron and my choice...Heaven! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Meyer-Lemon-Semifreddo-with-Summer-Berries-242511
I know, I know...lots of cream...but I only ate half of mine. This recipe can be worked to have less calories.

We dined outside on a lovely day. Not too hot and not too cold...but we were (me mostly) annoyed by the flies. What do restaurants do about that? What do you do when you eat outside to control the flies? I really would like to know.

Shannon and Aaron gave me a huge red geranium plant. Beautiful! So, is my daughter!

I hope you all had a wonderful day filled with good memories, phone calls to mom, or better yet, a nice dinner.

Shannon and Mom

Roberto, Shannon, Aaron and Mom

Until next time, try a new recipe or try Cool Mint Cafe in San Marcos, Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment