What's on My Food?

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org

Friday, April 2, 2010

What? You Hate Brussels Sprouts??

Hi Boys and Girls!

Believe me; I have detested Brussels sprouts all my life. Yes, just the smell of them cooking nauseates me! So, what is it with this topic today? Well, you are in for a treat! I am about to change your life and your aversion to eating Brussels sprouts!

As I said, I have hated and avoided Brussels sprouts all my life. But that changed one fateful day in February. I was in Whole Foods Market surveying the deli department for dinner. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/
The lady behind the counter offered me a sample Brussels sprout on a toothpick. Of course, I told her I cannot stand them and No, Thank You. She said, "You have not tasted the way we grill them." hmmmm....OK, I took the bait. Who does not love grilled food? Well, nose deceived me...the smell was sweet, not bitter. My tongue was confused, especially the back of my tongue which was supposed to register, "Spit it Out!! Spit it Out!!"

OK, I bought 1/4 pound to try them for dinner. I heated them up on top of the stove along with the main course of risotto with jalepeno chicken sausage. I must tell you that I was a convert from that moment on. So, now I am going to tell you how to grill Brussels sprouts and I want you to take the challenge.

First, it is a good idea to purchase your Brussels sprouts from a farmer's market, Whole Foods or other store that sells organic vegetables. If possible, buy the sprouts still on the vine.



Wash the sprouts and cut off stem.

Use good olive oil and place about 2 tablespoons into a cast iron pan. You don't really have to use a cast iron pan but it helps. You can also grill the sprouts on your BBQ grill.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-brussels-sprouts-recipe/index.html
Alton Brown really has it down when it comes to grilling Brussels sprouts on the grill. We used aluminum foil but next time we will use the veggie basket that is made for grilling veggies. Ours looks just like the one below except it has a handle.

Grilling on the stove does make a bit of mess because of olive oil splattering but they still turned out great.

OK, so you have your organic sprouts ready to go. Notice I cut some in half. You can keep them whole. They grill quickly.

Chop about 4 garlic cloves and pop into the pan with the olive oil. Saute for a few seconds watching not to burn
the garlic. Place the sprouts in the pan, lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
Take the cover off and stir. You will see them turning a bit brown and crusty. Continue to cook without the cover until the Brussels sprouts are browned a bit all over and heated through.You will notice the absence of any bitter smell. You will smell garlic and a hint of sweetness. Serve with your favorite steak, pasta or like I did...jalepeno chicken sausage risotto.

Tell me how you like this recipe. Check out the veggie cookbook for grilling.
If you use your grill and and bamboo skewers be sure to soak your skewers in water before placing on the grill or use stainless steel skewers. Try rosemary stems as skewers. Be sure to soak these too so they do not start on fire!
 Well, good luck! I would really like to hear about your "conversion." Until next time, life isn't about how many breaths you take but the things that take your breath away. Start making your "bucket list" and check off the things you try. Visit someone in a nursing home; pick up the phone and call a friend rather that e-mailing a note; try something you have not done before....like grilling Brussels sprouts!
Until next time...




3 comments:

  1. My Aunt Marcia told me about this a couple of months ago and I tried it...no longer can I say that I hate Brussels sprouts...AMAZINGLY good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one? That will be hard to do,Bill! Glad to hear you are a convert, Katie!
    How do you usually grill these?

    ReplyDelete