What's on My Food?

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Making Quilted Post Cards

Hi Boys and Girls!

I know, I know...this is nothing new. The making of quilted post cards has been around for years. However, I never tried it until now. Maybe if I show you how I did it and tell you my mistakes, this project will be easier for you! I thought it was going to be a piece of cake...

First of all, a good book is handy. I have two books that were very helpful. One is by Cheryl Malkowski called Quilt-O-Grams.



This book is well-organized and has lots of sample cards. The supply list is really helpful too...but here in New Braunfels not so much. Mail order is necessary for me for some of the supplies. Well, there is a new mega JoAnn's...http://www.joann.com/ in Austin....

Another book I really like is Positively Postcards by Bonnie Sabel and Louis-Philippe O'Donnell. The samples in this book are art pieces. I like the samples of fabric with the cool thread that will embellish your card. These quilted cards with batting should be mailed in an envelope.

With these two books, I felt I was ready to start this project!
One of the hardest supplies to find (I never did, actually) is Fast2Fuse. This is stiff interfacing with fusible on both sides. This eliminates the need to add fusible web to the background fabric and paper or cloth backing. It is available through C&T Publishing http://www.ctpub.com/ but I was in a hurry and did not order it. So what did I do? Well...it was like re-inventing the wheel.

First, I chose my Texas-theme fabric.



 Then I backed the fabric with Steam a Seam 2. This is used for applique. It has adhesive on one side. Steam-A-Seam 2 Double stick Fusible Web By The Each


Then I used very stiff interfacing which was adhesive on only one side to cut my post cards. Since I want to mail these, I cut each card 4" by 6" and they will have to be hand-cancelled. 

I used Steam a Seam 2 on the background fabric which covered one side of the card.


From my choice of fabrics, I fussy cut items I wanted on the card. Fussy cutting is easier if the fabric is fused first. Cut around the item you want...for instance, I wanted the boot with Texas wildflowers http://www.wildseedfarms.com/ and then I wanted small chiles.

Also the cowboy fabric has cool saddles and horseshoes.The boot, saddle, chiles and horseshoe and branding iron are fussy cut and fused onto this background fabric.

Here is a picture of the quilting...which I am not happy with and will probably experiment with high sheen threads like from Superior Threads. http://www.superiorthreads.com/ or maybe I can find them at Oak Leaf Quilts http://www.oakleafquilts.com/
I think using a high sheen poly tread will give the cards some punch. What do you think?



I like this a lot better. I quilted all the cards with
Mettler Metallic #7633 Copper. I fused Hoffman 1895 batik on the back where and wrote the address on one side of the card and on the other:

HOWDY FROM THE TEXAS HILL COUNTRY!!


Finally, a double zig-zag stitch all around the card gave the cards a nice sturdy border. I will mail these to the six lucky recipients!! Let's hope I get six cards in return...I am pooped...

I think I will order my Fast2Fuse now!

Until next time....Happy quilting, sewing, crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment