What's on My Food?

Find out what's on your food at: whatsonmyfood.org

Friday, December 25, 2009

Happy Christmas Day!! Frost Warning...

Hi Boys and Girls!

Did your Santa bring you everything you wished for? If not, did you get a sweet gift you had not even thought to wish for? I did!! My sweet hubby bought me a gift certificate to Oak Leaf Quilts. http://www.oakleafquilts.com/ Wow! Fifty bucks! I never dreamed my main squeeze would think to give me fabric....after all, I can barely walk into my quilting room for all the fabric! Sorry, you will not get a picture of this!

We are most likely going to have another freeze. Check the weather at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/
and put in you zip code. If we are going to be 32 degrees or lower, your plants will be hit with frost. Here is a web site to help you prepare your plants for a freeze. http://www.thegardenhelper.com/frost.html

I have a tub full of old sheets, mattress pad covers and towels to cover my more delicate plants. You can get all this stuff at Hospice resale shops. Here in New Braunfels go to:
Hope Hospice Thrift Avenue
613 North Walnut Avenue

New Braunfels, TX 78130-7925
(830) 625-4746
Just about every city has a Hospice resale shop. I found a brand new pair of Levi jeans for $1.50 two weeks ago!

If you are planting Texas natives or natives to your state, the plants will probably come back in the spring.

Move potted plants under protective porches or in the garage. Do not water them before a freeze if you keep them outside. The pot will expand and crack. Resist the urge to trim unsightly frozen plants. I know they look yucky, but even the damaged limbs will protect the roots during another freeze. Remember: when you trim you are telling your plant to put out new growth. If there is a freeze after you have trimmed your plant, you can kiss that plant good-bye.


Have a wonderful day and keep that fire going! Even kitties love to sit by the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment